This week’s highlights: Boni Wagner-Stafford, Adam Croft and I discuss book blurbs, book hooks; Howard Lovy interviews inspirational indie author Barry Hutchison on finding success as an indie author writing comedy science fiction and crime thrillers and, as ever, Dan Holloway has all the latest self-publishing news from the Alliance of Independent Authors blog roundup 2019 Week 39.
But, before all that, I want to be sure you’re in the loop about ALLi’s new Indie Author Translation Rights Program. This exciting new publishing rights program will bring a group of self-published authors through the process of selling their translation rights, in advance of London Book Fair 2020.
Its aim is to open up the rights industry to indie authors through a publicly-accessible education and coaching program.
ALLi’s panel of authors and experts includes NYC literary agent Ethan Ellenburg, Michael Anderle of LNPMN Publishing and 20Books to 50K, and Jon Malinowski of the digital rights trading platform, Pubmatch.com. The panel and the authors will meet once a month between now and the London Book Fair in March 2020 for video-recorded coaching sessions which will be posted on YouTube and on the self-publishing advice blog so that other indie authors can follow along and learn.
Between sessions, the authors will work independently to prepare their rights guides, to pitch materials and proposals, and to set up meetings.
Selling translations, TV & film and other such rights is always a challenge for authors, yet we know there are many rights buyers all over the world who are interested in author-published books right now. We hope this program will allow our members to take hold of the international rights scene in a new way, to reach out to agents, publishers and other rights buyers abroad, have a coherent rights guide, and be part of ALLi’s push to get rights buyers’ attention for our members.
You can find out all about it here.
Now, onto the roundup.
Self-Publishing Advice Roundup:
- In the latest #AskALLi Self-Publishing Fiction and Nonfiction Salon, Adam Croft, Boni Wagner-Stafford and I discuss the similarities, differences, and key elements in your book blurbs.
- Author member, Helen Baggott is here to remove the mystery and tell us how we can DIY PR as indie authors.
- In How to Get Your Book Into Libraries, Australian author and ALLi member Anne Merrick tells us how you can get your book into libraries by taking just a few careful steps.
- Rachel McCollin, ALLi author member, discusses SEO for authors bringing you all the tips and tricks you need to master SEO.
- This week’s Inspirational Indie Authors podcast sees Howard Lovy interviewing Scottish author Barry Hutchison about finding great success as an indie author writing comedy science fiction and crime thrillers.
- In this opinion piece, author member Christopher Wills asks, Are We in a Pulp Fiction Reprisal?
- And finally, in Dan Holloway’s regular indie author news round-up this week, he’s looking at; new podcast tools; ebooks in Europe; Audible UK sales figures, and copyright: audible captions and CASE.
Lots to learn and ponder, as ever.
Each Wednesday I bring you this round up from the self-publishing advice blog, run by the Alliance of Independent Authors, the non-profit association for self-publishing authors. We offer many benefits to indie authors.