This week’s highlights: the #AskALLi broadcast salons are back for a new season; Howard Lovy interviews inspirational indie author Rohan Quine on transcending genre with gender fluid characters and, as ever, Dan Holloway has all the latest self-publishing news from the Alliance of Independent Authors blog roundup 2019 Week 32.
But, before all that:
It’s that time already! We’re looking to commission blogs for September and October. Our themes are ‘Marketing Methods’ for September and ‘Head to Heads aka This or That Month’ Debate/Opinion for October.
Please send us a pitch including an outline if you’d like to write on one of these themes. Here are some ideas of what we’re looking for, though if you have other ideas, please do drop us a line.
For September’s Marketing Methods
- Long term marketing methods
- Unusual marketing methods
- Methods of preparing for or preventing slump months
- Old marketing methods that are still good today
- New marketing methods no one is trying yet
- Marketing with technology
- Marketing without technology
For October’s ‘This or That’ Debate/Opinion Month
- Piracy: pros and cons
- Facebook vs Bookbub ads
- DRM pros and cons
- Free book giveaway, genius or silly
- Reviews: paying or not
- Some unique twist on plotting versus pantsing
We are also always interested in guest posts on writing craft, and posts that help solve niche problems anywhere on one of the seven stages of publishing.
Please drop me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org with your pitch and your blog outline, related to the topics above or anything else that lights your fire.
And here is a link to our guest blog posting guidelines.
Now, onto the roundup.
Self-Publishing Advice Roundup:
- Tim Lewis, co-host of ALLi’s Beginning Self-publishing Podcast, explains how indie authors can set up and run their own Twitter chats as another means of reaching readers and building their loyalty.
- In Audiobook Price-Fixing by Audible: Is It Coming to An End? ALLi Partner Member Tim McConnehey predicts a continued boom in audiobook popularity, and some welcome changes in the way Audible conducts its business.
- Author member Mary Louisa Locke discusses audiobooks and exclusivity in her comparison of ACX and Findaway Voices.
- Gordon Rothman, partner member from www.authordirectaudio.com, teaches us seven rookie mistakes to avoid when recording your audiobook.
- This week’s Inspirational Indie Authors podcast sees Howard Lovy interviewing Rohan Quine, author of The Beasts of Electra Drive, about transcending genre with gender-fluid characters.
- After taking a break for the month of July, 2019, the #AskALLi broadcast salons are back for a new season.
- And finally, in Dan Holloway’s regular indie author news round-up this week, he’s looking at self-publishing success; ebooks in libraries; enhanced ebooks; and where now for Storytel.
Lots to learn and ponder, as ever.
Each Wednesday I bring you this round up from the self-publishing advice blog, run by the Alliance of Independent Authors, the non-profit association for self-publishing authors. We offer many benefits to indie authors.